I painted the master closet (yes, this is how small the master closet is; can you imagine the matchbox that is the guest closet?) Ultra Pure White and this is pretty much how it seems when I go in there.
Took me all weekend, which is more a nod to my age than anything else. It was only a prelude, though, because I plan on painting the whole house.
I wanted some of those giant Philodendrons, the ‘Selloum’ variety, but of course Home Depot had absolutely nada and Lowe’s only had one ‘Hope’ (which I bought but am not thrilled with). Didn’t want to hike 50 miles to Miami so instead purchased seeds on the internet. As one does.
Well, we survived. Again. But really, how many times can one tempt fate? I lost track of how many hurricanes I’ve been through.
I took before pictures, as one does… but no after. The pictures would come out looking like modern art that nobody understands because everything is swathed in green and brown roughage; the result of the almighty raking a giant comb over the land at great speed.
We were more ready for this storm than any other, which thankfully was not needed. Luckier than most, we were only without power for 24 hours and internet for a few days. I’d rather have power than internet, but it felt odd and I didn’t even turn my pc on til it came back up.
Kudos to the city of Margate and Broward county, both of which kept everyone updated via Twitter and Facebook.
Now… there are three other systems to keep a weather eye on… and have I mentioned that I WANT TO MOVE??
Silicone caulking for bathtub drains to hold water. The caulk will not affect the taste of the water and cleans up easily. Just use a thick bead around the seams and it will pull away cleanly when dry.
Manual can and bottle openers.
Folding stove, oven mitts. Better to use a camp stove or grill; but don’t use them indoors. In a pinch, you can use ”canned heat” (Sterno, etc.) but it will only heat food; it won’t cook it.
A battery-operated radio and/or television.
A windup clock.
Battery-operated lanterns and enough flashlights for each member of the family, plus extra batteries and bulbs. Candles and kerosene lights can cause fires and severe burns. If you must use candles, never leave one burning unattended.
Lightweight fire extinguishers.
Wrench to turn off household gas and water. Keep it near the shut-off valves.